MEAL OF THE SEASON




the MEAL OF THE SEASON




It was New Year's day and I just felt like having a plate of hot Eba accompanied with well garnished, freshly prepared Vegetable soup. I then invited two friends to join me at the table. To my amazement, one of them vehemently refused to eat Eba, his claim was that he can not eat Eba on ''New Year's day''. 

He politely requested for a plate of Rice, which I had already prepared with the foresight that some people might not like the idea of eating any other thing but Rice on such day.

Now the question is not about how it is prepared but rather the state of the mind. Ironically, some of us perceive some meals are not ideal for festive period.

You will agree with me that, while growing up Jollof Rice, Fried Rice and White Rice were often served during Festive Period, especially around the Urban environment and this can be traced to the reason some children would feel bitter or think they are being maltreated when such meal is not served.

I was once a victim of this mind-set, I remember eight years ago: while serving in Cross River State, I was staying at The Redeemed Christian Church Of God, Corper’s Family House (RCCF), off Lagos road, Calabar. 

Now on Christmas day, while Calabar town was in great excitement, the then ''Mama'' (Miss Tomilola, the Mother of the family house) had set the table and it was either Beans and Rice or just Jollof -Beans (If my memory serve me right) .

I became furious at the height of cruelty and insensitivity to the general kitchen expectation for the Christmas season. Who does that?  I did not mind the distance, instead I sauntered to a friend's crib where I ate a well-served plate of Jollof Rice and Chicken. I returned home smiling because I felt fulfilled.

Hnnmmmm! This notion of ''The food of the season'' is a perception that we need not pass on to the younger generation. No meal is capable of giving anyone fulfillment, rather it is the meaning we attach to it. Anthony Robbins was right when he said, ''Nothing in life has any meaning excerpt the meaning you give it''. We need to encourage our children to accept all meals with love and a smile. The meaning we give to things determines our reaction to it. You may need to have a review of your perception on different subjects as well.



Thank you for your time on Olabusola’s Review.
Source: Observation
Google: Pinnterest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO TEACH A TODDLER HOW PARENTS EARN MONEY

Why Do Friendship Go Sour : The Lily's Story

5 Businesses You Can Do With AI