*** THE ENGAGEMENT RING



The Engagement Ring



I welcome you all to Tales by Olola, a page where knowledge is shared and I am your regular host, Olabusola Olorunnowo.


The event of a young man engaging a young woman with a ring tends to tickle my fancy in movies. My gaze picks it from how the young man goes on bended knees looking up at his "to be’s" beautiful and almost tear-filled eyes, just to say "Will you". Then my gaze goes beyond that to the ring.

So much has been said about how to propose and when to propose, but today I like to draw our attention to "why she says Yes" and why would a lady say "No". The expectation of many is that she must say "Yes" with a smile or while blushing. Oh Yes! Back in the day, proposal was more than mere expression of those four words: "Will You Marry Me", then it was more of truth & trust. Proposals were not as vague as it is this days, to say the obvious. However, it will also amaze you that a few ladies have had to say "No am sorry,I can't do this..." Hnmmmnmm... I can imagine your line of thoughts as you read on.  

An engagement ring is given after a period of dating. There must have been a relationship between this two people: so why should she say No, you would say. I often wonder why the men always expect the lady to say "yes I will". 

An engagement ring was flashed at my eyes few days ago; however, the lady in possession of this ring chose not to wear it. What then baffled me was; why she said "Yes", yet decided to keep the ring in her bag?


Babe: “I carry it everywhere I go, but I wear it whenever we are together" she said.


Her explanation is quite tenable& her respect her for it. However, this incident got me more confused than excited for the lady, as it made me see the reason so many guys won't buy a ring or will delay before proposing. I have heard scenarios, where Corp members remove their engagement rings while serving their father's land. Am sure there is an explanation to all these. But I may be wrong; hence I will like to look at it from a different angle... "Why do ladies keep their engagement ring and why would a lady say "No to a marriage proposal "... Let us discuss the reasons, consequences & the benefits...  

PROUDLY KING TJ»»» Chai! Diaris God ooo. Hmmm,i can't imagine myself to have proposed to the Queen of my heart to marry me and yet say no to my proposal.  Oni la ti je pe there is someone on her mind that she values over me or probably she is not ready to give it a shut into the marriage world. # There is no point crying over spilled milk o. # Moving-on lo ba de.  And for any lady to have kept her engagement ring in the purse means there is lack of trust in the relationship that she finds herself. Or she's looking for a plan B or better still, it could be that the nature of her work demands her to keep it in her bag. #my opinion.

Ada Designer Hnmmmnm... I equally love proposals. However, i think some ladies keep their ring because they are not sure they want to give everything away. You know wearing the ring means you are out of the market u. I also think for a lady to say "No" Aha... she must have seen that the road is no longer good to proceed. It is not very common but when it happens the man should just respect her decision.


Philip Ekomenme 
Na she sabi o
All I know be say not all relationships ends in marriage. If during courtship/dating, the lady discovers say the guy not worth am, she go say no na, but that is to punish the guy sha
Cases of refusal is 1 out of 1000 relationships sha...Because that's what every lady looks up to even if the guy head not dey house, them just want the guy to propose.


Georgina .**Make person come showcase ring finish before one monkey go say e no do again... Where babe go hide face then. Interesting topic.

Oyindamola Artist Quite an interesting subject of discussion. Ti ina o ba wo ... she will say No. Abi. Anyway on the issue of ladies not wanting to wear their engagement ring, i would say it might be due to the good and bad reasons. Good reasons in the sense of been protective of the union and bad reasons because they want to play around. My dear when i was serving i had a friend who removed her ring and would only wear it when she is leaving her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA). Some girls who play games would keep their ring while some girls may not really like the ring hence may decide not to wear it. People do things for different reasons.

Kemi ***I would say no if i don't feel ready to take on the responsibility of marriage. Any engagement longer than six months is something else, so if you engage me longer than that i will simply tuck-in your ring. 

BRIGHT Why in God's name did you say yes and won't wear my ring. Anyway I am yet to find a lady that is marriable but if i do and i go all out to buy you a ring, then propose and you don't wear the ring then you will tell me if there is actually a relationship.

BIMZY  
A lady might say "No" for so many reasons... she might feel that she is no longer compatible with the guy. It is also possible that she might have noticed some strange events in the relationship hence the need to say no. Most of the ladies that don't wear engagement rings say "wearing your engagement mean you are not street wise". A lady might want to keep the ring until they are close to the altar. You know, you don't want to put a tag on your self.  So as not to be disappointed by this supposed gentle man at the end of the day.

Jomiloju... I think there are several reasons for these. First Marriage should be a journey without  a definite end, hence the need for the two people to understand what they are going into. It is a decision you dont want to regret. Secondly, there are times before proposal when the man reconsiders his intention and weights it to be sure he should propose, am sure some men might have at this point returned the rings into their breast pockets, unknown to the lady. So if the lady too gets to a point where she has to sincerely say no, i think she should go ahead and say no. A broken relationship is better than a managed marriage. I understand not all ladies and guys are marriage material, so please look well. 

Anny*** It is called safe keeping. She accepted the ring as a collateral. In any case the society has made us to see the good turn bad in a short period. So the lady is just been cautious. However, there should be transparency on both sides. If you are not interested why lead him on. Then if a lady sees a better guy she might say No & return the ring. It's all based on what these two people want for themselves.


Today's discussion is not just educative and interesting rather it is also laced with humor. 

Please keep the comments coming ... Your contributions are welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO TEACH A TODDLER HOW PARENTS EARN MONEY

Why Do Friendship Go Sour : The Lily's Story

5 Businesses You Can Do With AI